Joint Reception with Upper Midwest Digital Collections Conference [UMDCC]
Start Forum off right and join us at the joint LITA and UMDCC reception for an evening of networking and art! Refreshments will be served.
When: Thursday, November 8th, 6 pm – 8 pm (Welcome remarks at 6:15 pm)
The reception is located on the 3rd Floor in the Target wing of the Minneapolis Institute of Art
- Walk through the Main Entrance and straight ahead (outdoors) toward the Target wing (see 1st Floor map).
- Once in the Target wing, use the elevators or stairs to go to the 3rd Floor.
- Pick up your badge at the Registration table and enter the Reception Hall.
Directions, Accessibility, and Parking:
- Parking: There is a ramp and surface lot parking for a fee ($5.00 for 0-1 hours, and $1.00 for each additional hour). There is free street parking along Stevens Avenue South and in the neighborhood. Download a map of parking options here.
- Walking: Approximately a 21 minute walk from the Hyatt Regency Mineapolis (see directions).
- Bus: Approximately a 12 minute ride by Metro Transit Bus #18 or #11 from the Hyatt Regency Downtown Minneapolis (see directions).
- Also accessible with ridesharing services like Lyft and Uber.
Food and Activities:
- Enjoy Surdyk’s appetizers, desserts (items will be clearly labeled and ingredient lists will be provided), and cash bar.
- Mix and mingle with colleagues.
- Explore the Museum at your leisure (MIA is open until 9pm and admission is free except for special exhibitions).
- Grab a group of friends and participate in the“Riddle Mia This” puzzle hunt. You’ll move through the museum galleries looking for clues in the artworks, exposing a faction of anti-technologists.
- Visit the Library Reading Room with a guided group and enjoy displays from the library’s collections selected by Mia’s librarians.
Minneapolis is home to great food and drink, and what better way to explore what the city has to offer than exploring it with fellow LITA folks? This year we are offering sign ups for Thursday and Friday night dinners which gives you more of a chance to try new places or old favorites and socialize with new friends.
- We recommend groups up to six people for dine-arounds going to sit-down restaurants.
- Groups are self organizing, so please make sure you have contact information for everyone in your group to coordinate meeting times, reservations, transportation, etc. Instructions for signing up as group leader or attendee are on the signup website, but if you have any questions please email Katherine at email@example.com
- Conference planners are working to ensure that the restaurants on the list are accessible to all; nevertheless, please feel free to contact Katherine (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the restaurants themselves if you have any accessibility questions.
While we are not organizing Breakfast dine-arounds, we have curated a list of breakfast spots where you can grab something to eat before the morning sessions. If you can’t make it to an early breakfast, coffee and donuts or bagels will be available 15 minutes before morning sessions start in room Great Lakes B.
When: Friday, November 9th, 6:30 pm – 10 pm
Where: Lakes and Legends Brewing, 1368 Lasalle Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55403
Transportation information from the conference hote
l: Lakes and Legends is .2 miles from the hotel (see directions)
. Mostly level sidewalk elevation with the exception of curb cuts. Also accessible with ridesharing services like Lyft and Uber.
Game night is back! Come to Lakes and Legends and enjoy craft sodas (and beer), food from the city’s thriving food truck scene, and – most important of all – games. A section of tables will be reserved for the group. We will supply some games, but please feel free to bring your own as well. If you are bringing games, list them on this spreadsheet
Optional Post Conference Activity, Saturday, November 10th – Paisley Park
When: Saturday, November 10th, after the closing keynote
Where: Paisley Park, 7801 Audubon Road, Chanhassen, Minnesota.
Transportation information from the conference hotel: Paisley Park is accessible from the Hyatt Regency Downtown Minneapolis with Lyft and taxis. Parking is available for guests driving to Paisley Park.
Please note that attendees will need to pay their own ticket and arrange their own transportation.
Located in Chanhassen, 30 minutes southwest of Minneapolis, visit Paisley Park, the iconic home of the late artist Prince. Tours are available on Saturday afternoon and evening, November 10, 2018. Tours are approximately 70 minutes and begin every mid-hour (for earlier times) or every fifteen minutes for their late evening tours. Attendees interested in visiting Paisley Park are encouraged to purchase their tickets early as tours can fill up quickly. Admission prices vary, discounted tickets are available if purchased in advance. See their website for more details.